PDA

View Full Version : Boats...

Fran5975
31-08-2012, 01:58 PM
The past couple of years I have been talking about Spoonplugging techniques. One of the most important aspects of our style is the boat. I have a question for you guys. Is there a boat available in SA that is 14 to 16 feet long that can handle a 25 hp tiller outboard?

I really like the Aliboat Kafue 495 (Aliboats | Purpose Built Aluminium Boats - Botswana, Zambia - Boats for Motorboats | Bass Boats | Fishing | Swamp Cruisers | Air | Punts | Barges | Landing Craft | Patrol | Jet | Tenders | Amphibious | recreational | heavy ro-ro ferries (http://www.aliboats.com/boat_listings.asp?LID=1&BCID=16)) but I'm not certain what is involved in actually getting one to Johannesburg.

Ok. A few days ago I put a thread up called 'Hypothetically'. I am REALLY trying to make this trip happen. I have the money, pretty sure I have the time off. Now it's a matter of putting some important pieces together. The proper boat is the next step.

Everyone will offer boats to use. Thats great but besides abusing a few guys who've shown some real interest in Spoonplugging, I really want to test my knowledge and abilities. Obviously I'd rather rent the boat and motor but if not I will have to be more extreme. I'm not particularly worried if I have to buy something.

So HELP!

coyote
06-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Howdy Fran
have a look at the Tug 20 - not sure of the length may be shy of 12ft but has a cathedral hull and is super stable and it comes with a trailer
Hope it helps

Robdog
06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Here is a link to a brochure of the Tug 20 on the manufacturer's website - http://www.outdoormarine.co.za/TUG_20_BROCHURE1.jpg, and a link to an ad for a used Tug20 - "tug20" | South Africa | Junk Mail Classifieds (http://www.junkmail.co.za/search/tug20-south-africa/)

Fran5975
12-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I just wanted to follow up on your Tug20 suggestion. This boat is a near exact copy of a boat Spoonpluggers have used since the mid 80's. These boats are terrific! Very maneuverable, yet stable. With a 25 hp motor it will go close to 35 mph. The hull design allows for very precise boat/lure control. The deck in front gives you a good place to mount the trolling motor and butt seat. The hull is very light so it's easy to move by hand and you don't need a huge truck to tow it.

The only snag in the whole boat is that because the it sits so low in water, you will take waves over the bow. Unfortunately I don't remember how high the waves had to get before the boat takes on water.

The biggest thing that excites me about the Tug20 is the cost. It's about $1200. Which tells me if you can find a used one they should be pretty cheap used.

BigB
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
The biggest thing that excites me about the Tug20 is the cost. It's about $1200. Which tells me if you can find a used one they should be pretty cheap used.

There are many cheap bargain boats around. The problem is finding a cheap 2nd hand motor that is not totally trashed.

Fran5975
13-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Brian, I completely agree with you on the motor. As a person who has never had any luck buying used (I had an outboard burst into flames once) , while I can heartily agree with buying a used boat -I would always try to buy a new motor. The point that I am trying to make is that if people were trying to increase their fishing whether for tournaments or not, the boats don't have to cost $50,000. I am trying to appeal to some of the kick boat people or anybody fishing from the shore.

Boats in the Tug20 price range can be some of the most effective boats on the water. Now if you want something a little bigger, keep the water from coming over the bow, and most importantly which won't bust the budget. The smaller aluminum boats are really awesome.

The other point is when we discuss Spoonplugging, boats like yours - while great tournament boats can't really be effective for some of the techniques I discuss. I know your tournament fishing would be hugely improved if you used the small boat to 'learn or pre-fish' the dam you are competing on. I mean once you learn the spots, they don't change. So learn the spots in a small, cheap boat and then on tournament weekend take the tournament boat in and race to the spots before anyone else.

Before the Ranger, I had a cheapish Aluminum boat. Most of the time I fished places where the motor on the Bass boats cost more than my whole rig. Yet I knew that I was catching more fish than they ever thought possible.

Now if you were going to buy a second boat or make the next step up from kick boats - wouldn't you rather spend smaller amounts than bigger? I have a second boat. Its a little aluminum jon boat where the boat, motor, trailer - brand new cost $5000. It had a new 9.9hp 4-stroke and I truly love it. This type of boat is an awesome learning tool and with the size of your dams you could catch an unbelievable number and size of fish.

I am working really hard to come to SA in January or February. If at any time I am there and I can't get a boat I need - I think I would buy a Tug 20, trailer, and motor without hesitation.

madporra
13-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I wish they made a 15ft or even a 16ft Tug version, that would be so awesome!

swarley81
13-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi Fran,

If you are considering something like the Tug 20 I think you might be interested in the Crackleback Lite 360 from Escape Boating as well. I own one and it is a great, stable cathedral hull. The sides of the CBL 360 is a little higher than that of the Tug 20, so she sits a little higher out of the water.

Here's a link to their site: Escape Boating - Bass Boats (http://www.escapeboating.co.za/bassboats.htm)

Fran5975
14-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure this would work. It looks like these boats don't take motors. Hard to row it 15 mph for very long.

swarley81
14-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Fran, these boats are rated to take up to a 40HP motor. Chat to Neil from Escape Boating.

madporra
14-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure this would work. It looks like these boats don't take motors. Hard to row it 15 mph for very long.

Yip I'm afraid that Crackleback 360 is a little small for us, but can be great with a 8hp and 1 guy .....

Fran5975
14-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for clarification. I looked at chart and the engine area was blank. I'm not sure a 3 meter long boat is something I'd be comfortable in but if your not a big fattie like me then it will work just fine. The only other thing is storage, live well...but certainly a good cheap starter boat.